I'm not really a good baker when it comes to dessert. I suck at it. Ingat lagi masa last buat cheese cake, tetiba ternampak batter tumpah dalam oven dari cake pan. Rupanya cake pan tu dah rosak n tak ketat. So that was the last time I baked a cake. Lepas2 tu bake savoury stuff jer, and most of the times, buat baked potato. Easy peasy. Pejam mata boleh buat. Ewah.
But it has been years and I have to move on. I have to challenge the status quo. I have to prove myself that I have moved on. Drama sangat. So 2 days ago, I challenged myself and made Red Velvet Sugar Cookies, after almost 2 weeks of procrastinating. Beli cream cheese dah 2 minggu kot, so sebelum kerugian cream cheese tu, baik lah buat.
Masa tengah prepare batter tu, tetiba baru perasan yang food coloring warna merah dah habis. Yang ada cuma pink. So since taknak jadi Pink Velvet, i doubled the quantity. Alhamdulillah jadi dark pink and almost reddish. Berjaya!
So here's the recipe:
- 3⅓ cups flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons (one 1-ounce bottle) red food coloring
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 8 Oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have a 9x13 inch pan ready. I like to line mine with aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray so that the bars easily lift out and are easy to cut.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together 1 cup butter softened and sugar until light and creamy. About 2-3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and food coloring until combined.
- Add the flour mixture until a soft dough forms. Press into the bottom of the 9x13 inch pan. Bake for about 20 minutes until the edges start to pull away from the sides and a toothpick entered into the center comes out clean. Allow to completely cool before frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, Beat together the cream cheese and butter. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat together until smooth. Frost the top of the bars and enjoy!
Nampak macam leceh, tapi senang je sebenarnya. Kalau orang yang malas macam i ni kata senang memang confirm senang okeh hehe. Alhamdulillah my 2 boys love the cookies! Tiap hari request nak makan, especially si kecik tu "Ma, kek! Kek! KEKKKK!" Selagi tak bagi selagi tu dia dok sebut :D